Frequently Asked Question about our Food Science & Technology Postgraduate Programme

Q: Is there any bond to be signed for pursuing a Post Graduate course in FST. If no bond is signed, is the candidate eligible for any scholarship that is offered. 

A : Currently there is no bond for the NUS research scholarship offered to successful applicants.  Please refer to the NUS website, Graduates Studies, for further information.

Q: We would like to have details about doing a Ph.D immediately after Undergraduate studies (in the FST programme in particular) and the criteria, ways and means to apply for postgraduate studies. 

A: Applicants for graduate studies must be awarded Honours degree to have a chance to be admitted.  Please refer to the NUS website, Graduate Studies, for application details.

Q: What is the maximum age to apply for postgraduate study?

A: There is no maximal or minimal age limitation.

Q: Can a BSc graduate without honours or has worked a few years apply for M.Sc. or Ph.D?

A: Yes, we will take into account the work experience and achievements on top of the GRE, TOEFL/IELTS scores.

Q : Is TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or IELTS (International English Language Testing System) a pre-requisite for admission?

A : Applicants whose native tongue or medium of university instruction is not English should submit TOEFL or IELTS score as evidence of their proficiency in the English language. Alternatively, applicants should supply a documentary proof that the medium of instruction for their first degree was conducted 100% in English.

Q : What is the minimum TOEFL/IELTS score required?

A : A minimum TOEFL score of 85 is required for the internet-based test (with a minimum of 22 for the writing section), or 580 for the paper-based test, or 260 for the computer-based test; while a minimum IELTS score of 6.0 is required.

Q : What is the validity period of TOEFL/IELTS score reports?

A : TOEFL/IELTS score reports are only valid for two years after the test and the validity period should not expire before the beginning of the application period for the relevant intake for which you are applying.

Q : How do I register for TOEFL/IELTS?

A : You may communicate with the organisations conducting the respective tests. TOEFL & GRE IELTS GMAT http://www.gmac/gmac

For TOEFL, Please quote our University code 9087 and the specific department codes.
Chemistry - 62

Q : Is GRE (Graduate Record Examination) a pre-requisite for admission?

A : Applicants (except NUS graduates) applying for disciplines in the Faculty of Science should preferably submit GRE scores. (Not applicable for coursework master)

Please quote our University code 0677 and the specific department codes.
Food Sciences: 0107

For further information or answers to questions not listed above, please go to the Science FAQ for graduate studies or NUS Graduate Studies or email us or call our mainline 6516 1656.


  • Education